Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Life: You are Worth it!

There is something in the past week that has plagued my mind. It is about life, it is about health, it is about the dreaded 'W' word. It is weight.

I have been overweight most of my life. My husband and his family, as well as mine, have been through this as well. I know so many other people have also. You feel sad, you feel worthless, you feel out of control. You feel trapped, depressed, tied down. When I would eat, it tasted good, it felt good, I didn't think about how bad it was for me, whatever I was eating, it was good, it felt good. It wasn't until after, or later, in the mirror, sitting on the couch that I felt it. That feeling of desperation and failure. Sometimes you feel like "I'm not really that big, it's ok" and other times you feel like you are so big, and who could love such a big, fat mess.
I felt like this sometimes, not everyday but that happened sometimes.

I am not telling you this to scare you into buying my diet plan, buying my workout DVD, I'm not leading you up to a point where I can sell you my life changing book for just $49.95. I don't have any of those things. I am just an overweight housewife who is tired of feeling so bad, fat and unhealthy.

I am here to share my daily food intake, share my views on being an overweight busy mother who is ready to take control. In the hopes that someone, somewhere will see this and realize, you are worth being healthy. If you have kids, your kids are worth sticking around for. I never realized that very much until I had a daughter, I want to be able to run with her and not feel tired, I want to be able to encourage her to be active and healthy.


All that being said, I don't want to be a sugar nazi, a carb warrior or a fat abolish-er. I don't want to spend my days counting my calories and weighing my food. I just want to eat, enjoy my food, not be hungry, and be healthy.


At this point I want to share my idea of beginning to eat healthier and what it means with my food tastes, what I like and what I can afford.
Remember, eating healthier does not mean you have to limit yourself to celery and wheat grass. If you go from eating Mcdonalds everyday (which I have done in the past!) to making yourself salads and soup, or chicken/steak/seafood at home. Applaud yourself! That is amazing! It takes a lot of will power and mental strength to take away something that feels good and replace it with something that is still good but you're not used to doing.
If you used to sit on the couch and munch on a bag of chips but instead you start eating healthier snacks like wheat thins, or fruit. That is spectacular! Scream it from the rooftops! It sounds so easy but if you are stuck in the cycle of eating badly, if is a struggle to change that habit and eat something different, something healthy.
Everyone has to start somewhere, and if your somewhere is subway instead of Burger King. go for it. If you started at vinaigrette dressing on your salads instead of ranch, go for it! Not everyone eats exactly the same way so we can't start at the same place. Start where you are. If a change seems too big, make it smaller, and progress to where you want to be. It's better than never making that change at all. Right now soda is my weakness but I will work on that.

If you do not like things like fruit and nuts in your salads but you like cheese and bacon bits on it, go ahead. That's what I do, you can work your way to a healthier salad and a healthier you. It doesn't happen over night.

I am not a nutritionist, I'm not a personal trainer and I don't have any training or degrees in any of those things. I am however committed to helping myself, my husband and anyone else willing to change. I want to see people happy. I am not saying this after I lost an amazing 200 pounds, became a marathon runner and have a diet pill to push. I am still an overweight (technically obese) housewife, ready to change and I just want to help someone else change also, to be happy and healthy and able to help someone else.

If you aren't too overloaded at this point, I'd like to share what I've eaten so far to day, it is around 12:30pm.

For breakfast I had a S'more Quaker granola bar, (very good by the way!) and around 10:30am I had a salad with shredded cheese (only around 2 tablespoons) and some bacon bits, not the fake stuff but real crumbled bacon (around 1 tablespoon) and on top of that was hidden valley bacon ranch dressing.
Around 30 minutes later I finished my lunch off by having a broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast (lightly breaded and cooked in the over).

These aren't the best choices, they aren't the healthiest. I am very picky, I like these things but they are healthier than the pizza or pasta or the million other unhealthy foods that I love to eat.

I also drank Dr. Pepper with everything, again, my weak point and I'm working on it.

Tonight after my husband gets home I will be going to the complex (apartment) gym with him I hope. I'm dedicated and I hope I can motivate you to become dedicated too.

Thank you for reading this, I hope I encouraged someone today.

You are so worth this, I just hope you can realize it like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment